Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Goliathus

SBLM Fantasy: Tips on How to Pick Empty SBLM Fantasy: Tips on How to Pick

Sun May 31, 2020 1:38 am
Well, I am writing this cuz I need a 500 words article for the new player task. Whether you think these are good is up to you, I am just rambling based on my experience with PBE minors and so on. Consider this a "do not do" article if I somehow land on the bottom 25% of fantasy.

#1 Ballpark factor is huge
If you ever played Perfect Team, you will know how key ballpark factor is to your performance and result. 0.85 vs 1.00 impacts a lot more than you think they would. So an important part of figure out who to pick for batters and pitchers is knowing each ballpark's factors. You want to pick batters who will play a lot in a batter's park and vice versa for pitchers. This ensures they will have optimum result and give you more chance to win. This is more important than ever in S0 due to how close the players' attributes are. It means that ballpark factor will have a huge impact over one's performance since it directly makes a 40 contact better than another 40 contact. Of course, you will have to analyze other shits like pitcher's quality on the other teams and so on if you are hardcore, but ballpark factor is an easy gauge to start.

#2 Sim God Giveth and Sim God Will Taketh
If you come from leagues with a more consistent sim engine, do not be sad if you choke for a year or two here albeit that you are a max earner. OOTP is a high variance engine and the range of your performance is huge. You can perform near MVP level for a year then straight up choking in another year despite that you are earning max the whole time. You can sim someone's career multiple times and it will be very different in every timeline. This is fun or not fun depending on how you see it, but either way, this means awards and fantasy are not easy to do. Like if there are 5 MVP candidates, you really don't know which one will excel that year. You can predict to the best of your ability but it's at most a 30% on your pick.

This also means that the performance in the minor is extremely "fluky" due to the close proximity of everyone's attribute. In majors, and with a developed league, you will see a big difference between a rookie batter and a great batter. When everyone is close in attributes like the minors now though, Sim God will have big impact on your performance.

#3 Understand the Scoring System
The scoring system is new for everyone so I can be wrong in assessing this but it sure looks like it really favors the power hitter and speed demon as of now. SB gets you 2 and there are no penalty for CS, so any daring stealer is a net positive in your fantasy team. Also, HR is fucking OP, not only does it give you 4 to start, you will get at least an RBI so that's a 5 for base score and 8 with a freaking grand slam. I think picking power bats are key here.

For pitchers, you need to look at various stuff. Stamina is key, ERA is ultra key(due to -2 per ER), K and BB are great but looks to be extra stuff and you kinda want to pick a good team so you have more chance to get the W for 5. I would also point out that you should check out the team's fielders for this. Great fielders are useless on the batting side of fantasy, but they are great for the pitching side. A great fielding team will make an average pitcher looks like a Cy Young.

Alright, I am long pass 500 at this point so bye.

Pingu likes this post

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum