Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Road to Opening Day 6/7

+28
AW13
Berocka
Goliathus
Uphillmoss
Doomsday
SecondBaseBabe
CaptainHook
Symmetrik
prezzys
Caboose
7thInningStretch
TTtheT
Jetsqb101
acydburn
JorgTheGoat03
zekethatbeast25
Cornholio
Snowball
Daddy
Psanchez55
GustavMattias
oilmandan
Pingu
lovesmuffins
StackTheRacks12
omgitshim
DollarAndADream
McWolf
32 posters
Go down
McWolf
McWolf

Road to Opening Day 6/7 Empty Road to Opening Day 6/7

Thu May 28, 2020 11:07 pm
Day 6, May 29th.
Everyone wants to be a superstar. And what defines who's a superstar in a simleague? Trophies and Awards. Find a name for an award to be given this season and tell us about it for 1 uncapped TPE.

- Write 30 words about your award.
- Record a one-minute podcast about your award.
- Crate a graphic showcasing your award.

This is the penultimate task of our event. It will be open for 2 days, while task #5 is still open for 24 hours.
McWolf
McWolf

Road to Opening Day 6/7 Empty Re: Road to Opening Day 6/7

Thu May 28, 2020 11:12 pm
I think for now, having bland names is fine, but sometimes down the line, it would be interesting to rename the trophies and awards after the first batch of superstars of the SBL. If a player wins the MVP trophy 3-4 times in the first decade or so, he'd deserve for the trophy to be named after him when he retires.

So this is my early vote for a trophy to be called the Sora Mekajiki Trophy.
DollarAndADream

Thu May 28, 2020 11:18 pm
I have to agree with McWolf here. I think for the first little bit, the awards should be blank. I wouldn't mind having a placeholder with MLB players I suppose, but I think in the long run it would be best to name the awards after the first batch of SBL superstars. So you either pick a name from that list of legends, or have a trophy named the J.Cole Trophy.
omgitshim
omgitshim

Thu May 28, 2020 11:48 pm
I for one am ready to win the Magnus Coretti Award for Pitchers Who Can Pitch Good and Who Wanna Learn to Do Other Stuff Good Too. It would be a great honor for the best pitcher in the league each season and may inspire future pitchers to become two-way players.
StackTheRacks12

Thu May 28, 2020 11:51 pm
Why worry about names of awards when Golden Goliath is going to win every award at least four times? You really want to go down this rabbit hole? Sheesh, might as well name every award the GG Award of Excellence. Haha But in all seriousness, I believe the first winner of each award should get their name engraved for the awards. That or keep it blank for three seasons and have the SBL Faithful vote on which of the three winners was the best and the winner of those set of votes gets the coveted namesake of the future awards. If you win an award two out of those three seasons, you deserve the award named after you in my eyes.

The Golden Goliath Trophy handed to GG himself? That's a blessing within itself. Haha
lovesmuffins
lovesmuffins

Thu May 28, 2020 11:54 pm
The Golden Glove should be called the Lucas Peterson award as it is I who will be claiming my award the first season of play. Anything else is unacceptable to me.
Pingu
Pingu

Fri May 29, 2020 12:13 am
Message reputation : 0% (1 vote)
Obviously, the awards should be blank first. But whoever wins it, it should get renamed on the spot to the winner's name. I mean immediately, as soon as the award touches the players hand it is now an award named after the newest recipient.
oilmandan
oilmandan

Fri May 29, 2020 12:25 am
I agree with the above posts. Part of making this league exciting will be putting our own touches on it as things move along. Perhaps for now, if we call the awards basic things like batting champion award for hitter and steroids award for most home runs. Then after a few years and the first stars are retiring, we can come up with the names for the awards
GustavMattias
GustavMattias

Fri May 29, 2020 12:31 am
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
Yep, seems fairly straightforward. Have the awards decided as time moves along. I would, however, like to suggest one award to be named after a real-life player, and one that shouldn't change or be replaced with time. It's very difficult to label one person specifically in a sim league context as the person to be the namesake for this one, and, to me, there is a name to choose in real life that would fit this award more than any other--the Jackie Robinson Trophy for an outstanding community member.
Psanchez55

Fri May 29, 2020 1:12 am
Awards... Having an award named for you is one of the greatest honors in sim leagues. I hope Kurtis can have a season that is worthy of having the SBLM MVP trophy named for him. But... That would be one bland trophy name
Daddy
Daddy

Fri May 29, 2020 1:32 am
Road to Opening Day 6/7 E20-C3539-2-F82-4399-A9-B9-3-D0728-E3-CD6-D
Snowball
Snowball

Fri May 29, 2020 4:14 am
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
The Captain Snowball trophy is handed out each year to the fluffiest player in the league. As i am the only one that has fur, it definitly will go to Captain Snowball, hence naming this the Captain Snowball trophy. Snowball should go into the Hall of Fame, based on these award wins alone.
Cornholio
Cornholio

Fri May 29, 2020 5:21 am
I’d concur with everybody by leaving our trophies blank for the time being, then honor our early contributors with trophy namesakes. I’d name the Commissioner’s Trophy, given out to the eventual champion for each season, after AW13 as he was the one who set up this league. That’s be a nice way to honor him for bringing us all here together today.
zekethatbeast25
zekethatbeast25

Fri May 29, 2020 7:22 am
Firstly the awards should be blank like most people are saying, we need to wait and give time to have people make their legacies and whatnot. Perhaps after a couple of seasons, we can name the awards after certain hall of famers in the league at their position.
JorgTheGoat03

Fri May 29, 2020 9:21 am
I would have to think that we should keep the awards blank at the moment. However, after the stars in the league have made a name for themselves, the awards should be named after said stars.
acydburn

Fri May 29, 2020 10:22 am
Probably an award for a pitcher with the most saves in a season, seems like a pretty important thing for a baseball league. Baseball is pretty stats heavy so you could come up with a bunch.
Jetsqb101

Fri May 29, 2020 11:07 am
Imo the award names should be the same as it's MLB equivalent in the early days, because deviating from that is going to cause confusion about what the actual award is. I think a cool idea for the site could be re-naming awards when/if players are inducted to the HoF here, to allow for players to have a legacy in that way
TTtheT

Fri May 29, 2020 12:04 pm
I think you should keep the names vanilla and blank for the first few seasons and then name them after past great players in the future. That would give the league some history to look back on.
7thInningStretch

Fri May 29, 2020 12:25 pm
I don't think it's unreasonable to go with the MLB award names OR just "Top Starting Pitcher," "Top Closer," "Top Infielder" or whatever awards the MLB uses nowadays. Like many sim leagues, once some firmly-established superstars have had some time to ride out their careers, we should name them after players. And naming any of them after players now is just a little premature, don't you think?
Caboose

Fri May 29, 2020 1:25 pm
If there is a trophy for the Home Run leader at the end of the season, it should undoubtedly be named after Bobby Boucher as he will be slamming homers all season this year and for the years to come
prezzys
prezzys

Fri May 29, 2020 1:32 pm
I’d say maybe come up with some random names for now. Wait a few seasons and then come back to the naming thing to see who really deserves to have the awards named after them. I think that would possibly give the names a bit more meaning.
Symmetrik
Symmetrik

Fri May 29, 2020 2:01 pm
There should definitely just be generic names for the trophies for the first little while. Players who excel in a league deserve awards in that league named after them. BUT, I do think some awards should stay generic. The Gold Glvoe & Silver Slugger awards, because of their nature, should really remain named as such, generic names. Otherwise you'd also have to come up with 20 players to name the awards after. Their names fit their purpose really well as well. Save the prestigious awards to be named after players.
CaptainHook
CaptainHook

Fri May 29, 2020 4:49 pm
As a newbie to sim baseball I read the comments above. I agree with no awards for season 1. I would like to compete in Hooks career for a top Pitcher award down the line.
SecondBaseBabe
SecondBaseBabe
Admin

Fri May 29, 2020 5:31 pm
It might shock people but I actually hate awards names after real life pros and I am not the biggest fan of naming things after players who have simmed well. I am most likely to back the naming of trophies if they take a new approach to how things are typically done in sims. I get the if it is not broken why change the way things are done mentality but in all honesty some things just feel old or dated to me and this is one of them.

I would however back awards being named after people who made major contributions to the league and helped it become successful.

AndrewWarren MVP Award, without him none of us would be here right now... that sounds like an MVP to me.
Doomsday
Doomsday

Fri May 29, 2020 6:56 pm
As someone who writes about the histories of the trophies of the VHL/VHLM and the players named after them, I feel it's best to simply name them after legendary pro players. After two or so generations of players, you can start to name them after SBL players, once the league starts to put a history together. The players worthy of having awards named after them will reveal themselves in time.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum