Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Goliathus

SBLM Playoff X-Factors Empty SBLM Playoff X-Factors

Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:03 pm
SBLM Playoff X-Factors Chicago_storm SBLM Playoff X-Factors Player_294
Chicago Storm: Jermaine Cole

If you read the previous article about SBL X-Factor, you will see that I did not list a pitcher, with full explanation included, but there are always exceptions to the rules. The reason for me putting Cole up is because he is the ultimate ace and will always start game 1. Storm begins their playoff in the wildcard and there are three games 1 for them to play. If Cole can't hold his ground in game 1, then it's game over for Storm. It is lucky for Storm to have the first of their rotation be pitching like what they expected him to be, for Storm is known for their lack of playoff adjustment. Last year, they had Ezekiel Bridges pitched fourth even though he was the clear ace and they got eliminated without this man actually pitched. That's pure disaster in my book.

Cole is very clearly above every other pitcher of Storm, especially Vernando Valencia, who I expect to be dropping most game 2 with ease. This further makes Cole's job harder and he must win game 1. I do believe he has that quality though, as only a single pitcher is above Cole in this SBLM season and the man had proven himself again and again.

SBLM Playoff X-Factors Pittsburgh_pioneers SBLM Playoff X-Factors Player_358
Pittsburgh Pioneers: Brian Strong

The Pioneers are the same old, same old this season. They are the premium batting team of the SBLM and will be using their crazily good batting lineup to break through the playoff looking for a repeat. The key difference this time is that they will be starting from the bottom with a lot of series to play rather than waiting for their opponents to come to them. I am sure baseball fans would know that batting has always been the more inconsistent part of the sport, and anything can happen to batters in a series. Pioneers have a lot of good bats to spread the risk around, as in the whole team have to choke for them to choke away their biggest advantage, but batting will never be risk-free. It's also important to know that Pioneers only have two great pitchers in their rotation. Once they go into game 3 and 4, it's pretty much going to be their batting lineup trying to just outscore their opponent than to believe in the man on the mound.

Perhaps one of the more inconsistent power bats of their lineup is Brian Strong, who currently bats first in the lineup. In my opinion, his power is better in the middle of the lineup but Pioneers have so many good batters that I guess you can just shove anyone anywhere. The problem with Strong as the first batter is that his OBP rate is below average of his team, which is key for the first bat, and he has the highest HR count for his team. His inconsistency(low AVG) hurts a little bit, which is why he's the X-Factor. He needs to have as many good games as he can, and hit the homer when the situation needs it to provide his team with the extra edge.

SBLM Playoff X-Factors Vegas_centurions SBLM Playoff X-Factors Player_384
Vegas Centurions: Obia LeChef

Centurions continue to be the fielding-first team of the league and I am definitely not worried about their fielding or pitching at all. In fact, they have the best starting rotation and they are the only one to run four capable starters out of all teams. You cannot get complacent against them in any game or their pitchers will make you pay. For a team like this, what they need is a key bat who can perform better than they are currently. The Centurions are 4th in a vast majority of batting stats, indicating that they are the worst in the playoff in that part of the field.

Obia LeChef is one of the better batters of Centurions and so the hope is with him more than anyone, or at least that's how I see it. For every key batting situation he's in, or high leverage if we follow the index, LeChef has to HIT. It's as simple as that, just hit for contact and get the key RBI.

SBLM Playoff X-Factors Sherbrooke_mohawks SBLM Playoff X-Factors Player_112
Sherbrooke Mohawks: Home Run Kid

The Mohawks are so good this season that I don't even think they need an X-Factor to perform well. They don't need this "special one" to get the leverage as long as the majority of their team don't choke -- easier say than done, but still, we are talking about the true two-way team this season and one that is packed full of talent on both sides of the field.

I go with Home Run Kid because this kid certainly has the power to do amazing things, but this has been a down season for him. Merely .392 SLG is just an insult to his name. Mohawks don't need a lot more as long as other bats produce, but if this kid can add in a homer or two to the overall scheme, then Mohawks will be even more lethal (than they really need to be).
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum