Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

S0 SBLM MVP

+5
omgitshim
Big Mac
7thInningStretch
Snussu
SecondBaseBabe
9 posters
Go down
SecondBaseBabe
SecondBaseBabe
Admin

S0 SBLM MVP Empty S0 SBLM MVP

Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:21 pm
MVP

Hey Awards Crew Wink I figured the best way to start was to have us collaborate on defining each award and then later we can vote at the end of the season. Thank you all for offering to help. Please not that once we do define these Awards better that I will add our guidelines to this first post <3

So what makes a MVP????
Snussu

S0 SBLM MVP Empty Re: S0 SBLM MVP

Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:53 am
MVP is the best player in the league. Who is overall the best. He cant be someone who hit 30 Homers but his Average is .210 and cant field. Someone whose constantly in top 5 of the major categorys like Average, Homers, RBI, OBP, Slugging
7thInningStretch

Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:08 pm
Since we already have position-specific awards for pitchers, I'd think the MVP would need to go to the league's best overall batter/fielder. I also think rather than just having the best volume stats, however, it needs to be go to a player that has excellent stats (i.e. was valuable to their team) and was on a reasonably successful team - because being a high TPE player on the basement team or laughing stock of the SBL does not an MVP make.

In short I overall agree with Snus. We should be looking for a player that:
1) Has great batting stats
2) Is still good in the field
3) Is on a team with *some* success (doesn't need to be the #1 or #2 seed, but should at least make playoffs)
4) Must be a standout on their team

I could only imagine this award going to a pitcher that is one of the best in the league in terms of ERA, but is also bar-none the best batter at their position. I would hate for there not to be an individual award (excluding GG/Silver Sluggers, because that's a team of players and still includes pitchers) for all of the fielders and batters out there.
Big Mac
Big Mac

Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:49 am
The MVP should not just be judged by how good someone is. It should be by the basic standard of who is most valuable to their team. Pitchers should also very much be just as eligible and just as considerable as fielders. If you take off a guy that’s the best player on an amazing team, and they’re still an amazing team versus a guy who’s not the best might not even be the 2nd best, but is about 3rd best, but if you removed him from the team, and they don’t even look competent enough to win a few games. That’s my take on things.
omgitshim
omgitshim

Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:24 pm
7thInningStretch wrote:Since we already have position-specific awards for pitchers, I'd think the MVP would need to go to the league's best overall batter/fielder. I also think rather than just having the best volume stats, however, it needs to be go to a player that has excellent stats (i.e. was valuable to their team) and was on a reasonably successful team - because being a high TPE player on the basement team or laughing stock of the SBL does not an MVP make.

In short I overall agree with Snus. We should be looking for a player that:
1) Has great batting stats
2) Is still good in the field
3) Is on a team with *some* success (doesn't need to be the #1 or #2 seed, but should at least make playoffs)
4) Must be a standout on their team

I could only imagine this award going to a pitcher that is one of the best in the league in terms of ERA, but is also bar-none the best batter at their position. I would hate for there not to be an individual award (excluding GG/Silver Sluggers, because that's a team of players and still includes pitchers) for all of the fielders and batters out there.

Pretty much agree with all this. Should be from one of the better teams (not necessarily the best) and should be the most impactful player on the team. I would heavily favor batters/fielders for this since they are the ones who play just about every day, so in general they tend to make an impact more often than a pitcher would. I wouldn't say a pitcher couldn't win necessarily, but personally it would have to be the best pitcher in the league by a notable margin and there would have to be no strong fielder candidates.
AW13
AW13
Admin

Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:45 pm
Agree on all the discussions here. In terms of importance to their team, I would have:

1. Kurtis McKenzie
2. Caleb Marko
3. Pingu Flipperson

I can see cases for Mitchell and IsRealDaddy as well. I think I have Marko over Pingu here because I can't ignore the getting caught stealing 29 times which may have hurt Vegas a bit. Delgado and Prezzy could get consideration though I would put them in class C but Prezzy could have a way better case if his defense was better.
Snussu

Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:52 pm
I'm gonna go with the same nominees as AW
1. Kurtis McKenzie
2. Caleb Marko
3. Pingu Flipperson

McKenzie went off.
Goliathus

Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:44 am
1. Pingu Flipperson - Most well-rounded statline IMO. I know offense is going to captivate people easily but I am looking at his output from literally every category. The only con you put on him is his CS count, otherwise he provides things of value to his team.
2. Kurtis McKenzie - Another two-way player with more emphasize of offense. I can get behind him in this discussion, just not #1 in my book.
3. Gustav IsRealDaddy - Insane offensive output for a speedster plus he's actually decent in 1B. What's not to like?
Spartan
Spartan

Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:36 pm
Will agree with AW here.

1. Kurtis McKenzie
2. Caleb Marko
3. Pingu Flipperson
omgitshim
omgitshim

Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:28 pm