Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Psanchez55

SBLM MVP Candidates: 90 Games In. Empty SBLM MVP Candidates: 90 Games In.

Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:03 am
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
MVP Candidates at the 3/4 Mark

Yes, I know. There's still plenty of time for things to change. But the sample size is definitely large enough to make some assumptions.  The season will be over before you know it. Who will be taking home the leagues MVP trophy? Who will join the esteemed list that includes one Kurtis McKenzie.  Currently this feels like a 2 man race. Therefore, it seems reasonable to list a top 4...

4. Gustav IsRealDaddy

I expected better of him. The man with the silly name was a monster in s0. Here he come's in at a measly 4th in this MVP rankings list. He's having a strong season--   but his. 299/.365/.436 slash line won't draw a ton of MVP consideration.  His WAR of 4.0 is tied for 2nd... yes. But that is buoyed by an impressive defensive season. Defense wins championships; but offense wins awards.  IsRealDaddy will have to settle for the 1B Gold Glove award. 

3. Caleb Marko.

The Pioneers right fielder was definitely  MVP candidate in season 0. It's no surprise that in his 2nd season in the SBLM, hes back and making noise. His .338/.399/.514 slash line is 2nd best in the league to a player who will show up later on this list. His OPS is 2nd best. Hits, runs, total bases-- he's still 2nd best. His WAR?... It is 2nd among batters. If they gave an award for MVP runner up, Marko would win it. Unfortunately, as it stands currently, I'm afraid Marko won't even win the Silver Slugger for his position. 

2. Chien-Ming Wang.

Are pitchers even in contention for this award? If they are, CMW has a shot. He's currently on pace for the triple-crown of pitching stats. His 14 wins barely edge out Captain Hook and Patrick Star. His impressive 1.74 ERA easily leads the league; and he the top strikeout guy in the league. Oh, by the way, Wang leads the league in innings pitched. CMW is easily the Pitcher of the Year through 90 games. MVP though? With 4.9 WAR, Wang is 2nd overall among all players. He has a legitimate case for the best player in the league. 

1.Wade Landry

Yeah... The award has a pretty decent shot to stay in Sherbrooke.  This Mohawks corner infielder is putting up the best season in the leagues short history.  Landry leads the league in all three slash line stats with a .358/.418./.530 mark. Obviously, he also leads the league in OPS. His wRC+ of 175 is ridiculous. It is 20 points better than that of reigning MVP Kurtis McKenzie.  Oh, and his WAR? A 5.9 in that category marks the highest WAR the league has seen. Want a weakness? Landry doesn't possess a great power bat. Who cares? With 30 steals in 34 attempts, there is a pretty good shot that he turns any random single into a "double". He's the clear favorite.  

Will this change? With 30 games left, I don't expect it. Landry has a significant lead over Wang, and an even greater lead over the 2nd best batter. The fact that I'm not even certain that the voters will consider Wang for the award leads me to predict Wade Landry to run away with the award. The MVP will stay in Sherbrooke.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum