Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Cubzlover84

SBLM’s Top Hitters: Who’s real and who’s not?  Empty SBLM’s Top Hitters: Who’s real and who’s not?

Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:20 am
SBLM’s Top Hitters: Who’s real and who’s not?

Let’s take a look at some of the league’s top hitters and see which performances have been legit and who may have gotten a bit lucky a month into the season.

Rose Crocodile, Miami

The Statline: .359/.419/.538 3 HR, 10 RBI, 8 BB, 9 K

Analysis: Rose is currently leading the league in BA, but he’s a tough one to analyze because of his extreme splits. Almost his entire production has come against right-handed hitters, with only 8 of his 78 at bats coming against lefties so far. However, against righties Rose is a multi-hit machine, having swatted at least two hits in 6 of his last 10 games. As for peripherals, 8 walks against just 9 Ks is encouraging. Based off of his ratings, though, I would expect to see more power and fewer singles going forward.

Carlos Delgado, Chicago

The Statline: .358/.413/.661 10 HR, 22 RBI, 10 BB, 27 K

Analysis: The huge first baseman has put up some monster numbers so far, and the data seems to back it up. He’s one of the most advanced hitters in the league in all categories, but it’s his power where he really shines. Delgado’s 72 total bases lead the league, as does his slugging at .661. He does only have 3 doubles, though, which may make sense given his well-below-average speed and baserunning. But you have to wonder how many of his 26 singles could turn into extra bases with a faster runner. Going forward I wouldn’t be surprised if his batting average drops slightly as his BABIP regresses. His strikeout and walk numbers have been in line with a player of his caliber, though. No doubt he’s a star player.

Caleb Marko, Pittsburgh

The Statline: .350/.429/.542, 7 HR 26 RBI, 17 BB, 19 K 1.7 WAR

Analysis: The star of a stacked Pittsburgh lineup, Marko has truly done it all. Like Delgado, his slow speed means he only has 2 doubles and 0 triples so far, but his discipline really stands out. 17 walks compared to just 19 strikeouts is very very good for a power hitter of his caliber, meaning he has shown the ability to set the table for his fellow sluggers. Even more promising, as a switch hitter Caleb has put up nearly equal production against both sides, putting him in position to continue mashing baseballs in the coming months.

Insubordinate Jelloface

The Statline: .339/.433/.579, 8 HR, 23 RBI, 18 SB , 1.8 WAR

Analysis: Unlike the other hitters on this list, Jelloface has brought a new attribute to the table: speed. Having stolen an incredible 18 bases already, he’s given his teammates plenty of scoring opportunities while also managing 3 doubles and a triple. Because of his speed, I’m more optimistic about him continuing his hitting spree moving forward compared to the slow sluggers we saw before. However, the power output was really surprising. 8 homers from a guy not known for his power is probably a fluke, in my opinion. It’s possible he has been getting more pitches to hit as part of a very strong Pioneer offense. Otherwise, though, his discipline has been outstanding and I would expect him to keep slapping singles and getting on base moving forward.

Cherry Bloomington, Miami

The Statline: .346/.393/.506, 4 HR, 16 RBI, 6 BB, 7 K, 0.8 WAR

Analysis: Cherry is another righty-masher, as only 4 ABs have come against Southpaws. His free-swinging approach has gotten him great success against opposite-hand pitchers, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see his batting average stay pretty much where it is for a few more months. However, he’s a sabermetric villain as 6 walks in 89 PA is pretty scary (although his BA inflates his OBP enough to where he’s still useful at the top of the order). Players with Bloomington’s approach tend to have mixed results depending on their BABIP luck, so he could just as easily fall off the table if a few line drives end up in fielders’ gloves.

Conclusion: It’s only been one month, but so far these have been the standouts. Will they keep up their torrid paces? Or will new faces rise to the top of the leaderboard? Stay tuned.

Cubzlover84
oilmandan
oilmandan

SBLM’s Top Hitters: Who’s real and who’s not?  Empty Re: SBLM’s Top Hitters: Who’s real and who’s not?

Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:13 am
Carlos Delgado is the SBLM’s daddy
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum